4th of July safety
With the 4th of July weekend almost upon us, the Red Cross wants to make sure everyone enjoys a safe holiday weekend.
The three big activities the organization is worried about are fireworks, grilling, and swimming.
When it comes to fireworks the Red Cross believes it is best to leave them to professionals, but if want to set off fireworks at your own home here are a few safety tips:
- Never give fireworks to small children and always follow the instructions on the package
- Keep a supply of water close by as a precaution
If you are lighting the fireworks make sure to wear eye protection
- Never relight a “dud” firework
Never throw fireworks at other people, animals, homes, cars, or anything flammable
If you plan on firing up the grill, keep these tips in mind:
- Keep the grill in an open area, away from the house, deck, tree branches, and anything that can catch fire
- Keep pets away from the grill
- Never add charcoal starter fluid when coals have already been ignited
If the weather is nice and you decide to take a swim remember:
- To swim sober and take a buddy with you