Preparing for the cold
Single digit temperatures and subzero wind chills are expected by mid-week. That means now is the best time to prepare for the extreme cold.
– Seal leaks and gaps around you home with caulk, spray foam, or weather-stripping.
– Build an emergency kit. A full list of items you will need can be found here.
– Have your furnace checked by a professional to make sure it is in peak working order.
– Protect your pipes by wrapping exposed pipes with insulation or electrical heat tracing wire.
– Allow a small trickle of water from both faucets to run overnight to keep pipes from freezing.
– If your pipes do freeze, shut off your water immediately. You can then use a hair dryer or space heater to thaw the frozen pipes.
For more information on preparing for the extreme cold, click here.