Mold removal starts at MSU biology building
MURRAY, KY —
Growing mold on campus– and its not part of a science experiment. Murray State University faculty noticed mold growing in at least nine different rooms and offices last week. They want to make sure everyone can work and learn in a safe environment, but cleaning it all will chip into the beginning weeks of the school year. And there's concern clean up could take even longer.
The work to get rid of the mold started Monday morning, professors on campus doing their best to plan around it because the weeks leading up to the start of school is crunch time for professors. Mold transplanted Biology Professor, Dr. Sterling Wright from his office to his lab. Wright says he not only saw the molding problem, but started planning for it right away.
Wright says, "The goal is to stay one step ahead of the students so as long as you can do that."
Dean of the college, Dr. Steve Cobb says they use the summer for building maintenance. He says maintenance in the buildings can allow for the humidity and temperatures to rise in the buildings, but it's important they make it a safe environment for the students.
Cobb says, "We don't want to have this cleanup and have to do it again."
Whether the mold is just contained to these rooms, the crew is still doing testing so there could be more of 'danger' signs throughout the building in the future. Cobb says as of now, mold removal will only take a couple of weeks, and a team is still investigating the cause of the growth.