Family of Erica Hagan seek answers almost a year after her death

Details of Erica Hagan's death have been hard to come by. Her aunt, Charlene Martin, told Local 6 the family has not been given any information about the criminal case against the security guard arrested for her murder.

"We're not getting anything officially," Martin said. 

The security guard's arrest came last September. Chilean detectives found Hagan beaten to death and naked in her apartment bathtub.

"She was taken tragically and against her will and left to be found in a really demoralizing way," Martin said.

She set up a Facebook page to bring attention to Hagan's case. Private Chilean detectives reached out to her, but Martin believes those were scams.

Hagan's grandmother, Barbara McCormick, took the death extremely hard. Hagan left a voice mail for McCormick's birthday a couple months before she died. McCormick saved that message and rarely listens to it.

"It's been very," McCormick said with a pause, then continued, "Stages of depression and the stages of all kinds of different emotions."

Hagan started a blog about her teaching adventures. Her last post talked about Kentucky and the Chilean cultural differences. She died later that same day.

"We want this crime punished. We want details of her death available to her loved ones. There are so many unanswered questions," Martin said.

Related Articles

VIRAL VIDEO: 94-year-old trombone player does short performance at Paducah music store A video of a man playing a trombone at a Paducah music shop is going viral.
3 killed, 2 wounded at Maryland office park shooting The suspect and the victims were all associated with a company at the Emmorton Business Park in Edgewood.
For ornery shelter cats, 2nd chance is a job chasing mice A Philadelphia animal shelter is giving unadoptable cats a second chance, finding them jobs as pest control at warehouses and factories.
Monument company apologizes, agrees to replace boy’s repossessed grave marker A monument company in Hickory, North Carolina has removed a headstone on a child's grave because the family did not finish paying for it.