Mayfield man one of 22 people honored with Carnegie Medals for heroism
Winners of Carnegie Medals being formally announced Thursday. Among them is 54-year-old Ronald LaRue of Mayfield.
LaRue drowned while trying to save his 5-year-old grandson from drowning in August 2014.
The others honored are:
– Liane Heather Wood, 42, and Daniel Marvin Wood, 43, of Frankford, Ontario, rescued a 13-year-old girl from drowning in a vehicle that crashed into a river in February 2013.
– Joel Kevin Kyle Jr., 29, of Tyrone, Pennsylvania, saved a 23-month-old boy from a burning home in May 2014.
– Phillip Ashley Grigg, 63, of Phoenix, Arizona, who was shot and wounded while saving a police officer from an attack by an armed robbery suspect in December 2013.
– Gary A. Golding Jr., 46, of Redondo Beach, California, and Kevin Patrick Cotter, 17, of Palos Verdes Estates, California, tried to save a man from drowning, and Robert McNulty, 39, of Burbank, California, eventually saved him in July 2014.
– William Ayotte, 69, of Churchill, Manitoba, used a snow shovel to save a woman from a polar bear attack in November 2013.
– Mark James Hoffman, 50, of Aristes, Pennsylvania, saved a 79-year-old woman from drowning after her car rolled into a lake in August 2014.
– Kory Kern Kocher, 37, of Waialua, Hawaii, saved a 90-year-old man from a burning home in August 2014.
– Isaac G. Pinsonneault, 16, of Chatham, Ontario, helped save a 21-year-old man from drowning in a lake in August 2014.
– Kirby Crump, 53, of West Jordan, Utah, helped save a 56-year-old pilot from burning in a small plane crash in August 2014.
– Michael T. Landsberry, 45, of Sparks, Nevada, was fatally shot trying to stop a 12-year-old school shooter who wounded two others before killing himself in October 2013.
– Brian Wargo, 45, of Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, saved a 34-year-old surfer friend from a shark attack in October 2014.
– Charles Wyant, 39, of New Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, saved a 53-year-old man from a burning dump truck that crashed into a creek in January.
– Karen Wessel, 47, of Arlington Heights, Illinois, died while helping save an 8-year-old girl from drowning in July 2014.
– Tou Hu Vang, 21, of Coon Rapids, Minnesota, died while trying to save his 11-year-old nephew from drowning, and Kenphenyeehu Hawj, of Ham Lake, Minnesota, ultimately rescued the boy in May 2014.
– Gregorio V. Monge, 35, of San Bernardino, California, attempted to rescue a 91-year-old man from a burning home in May 2014.
– Russell Allen Hill, 60, of Indianapolis, Indiana, saved a 12-year-old boy from being attacked by pit bulls in November 2014.
– Earl Heath Wickline, 62, of Londonderry, New Hampshire, saved a 58-year-old man from burning in a crashed vehicle in January 2013.