Neighbor reacts to arrest in Calloway County quadruple homicide

Kentucky State Police arrest a relative in connection to the murder of a Calloway County couple and their two children.

The bodies of Bulmaro Arellano, Marisol Hernandez and their two children —  5-year-old Miguel Hernandez-Arellano and 13-month-old Marisol Hernandez-Arellano — were found inside their Calloway County home Nov. 17 after a fire was set to the house.

Bulmaro Arellano’s nephew, 21-year-old Pascasio Y. Pacheco-Arellano of Mayfield, was arrested at 2 p.m. Monday and charged with first degree burglary, four counts of murder, first degree arson and tampering with physical evidence. 

A neighbor of the Arellano’s, Cari Elkins, hopes this arrest can help other family members move on.    

“You know that door closed, and then to start healing from it,” Elkins said. She’s say she can believe the family could do that.

“They did not deserve any of that,” Elkins said.

 Elkins says the Arellano’s two kids would play with her dogs in the front yard sometimes.

“Really, just really good people. Polite, so polite,” Elkins said.

The deaths upset her, but she’s relieved there’s been an arrest.

“That blew my mind. It was so quick. I am so happy,” Elkins said. 

Trooper Jay Thomas with KSP says Monday’s arrest is a result of a number of family interviews, interviews of people associated with the family, and several search warrants.

Thomas says KSP has been by Pacheco-Arellano’s side since Saturday when detectives met him, saw his injures, and then took him to a hospital.

“Some of those injuries were consistent with stuff we were investigating, and (we) knew that he needed to seek medical help,” Thomas said.

He said the information to make this arrest took a little longer to gather, because of a Spanish language barrier. A detective from KSP Post 2 had to come help them with the interview process.

Thomas says investigators will continue to do interviews, and they’re still getting evidence to their labs to process.

“The investigation is not over, but it’s far better than where it was Tuesday night,” Thomas said.

Thomas said he could not say anything regarding a motive at this time because of the ongoing investigation.

Related Articles