Powerball jackpot: By the numbers
Wednesday night’s drawing will be the 20th drawing since the most recent Powerball grand prize winner on Nov. 4, 2015 (in Tennessee).
- 78% of all possible numeric combinations for the game were played for Saturday night’s drawing. The last time the jackpot was hit (November 4) there were only 5% of possible numeric combinations played, and it was the 8th roll for that drawing.
- Total Powerball sales in KY from 1/3 thru 1/9 were $15,457,071. The weekly sales quota for the game is slightly more than $1.3 million.
- Total sales just for the Saturday drawing in KY were $10,852,060.
- There were four $50,000 winners in KY from the Saturday night drawing. Those locations will be announced Monday morning.
- KY has had 18 Powerball winners. The largest was Rob and Tuesday Anderson of Georgetown who claimed a $128.6 million jackpot in 2010.
- KY was the 15th lottery to join the game Lotto America in January 1991. This game became Powerball the next year.
- There are 47 lotteries currently selling the Powerball game to a population of 304,195,207 (304.2 million), with tickets being sold through more than 210,000 lottery terminals.
- Overall odds of winning any prize are one in 24.9. Odds of winning the jackpot are one in 292,201,338.
- ?The jackpot is not the only way to win. Nationally, Powerball has produced 316 second-tier winners of $1 million or $2 million in the past fiscal year (there were eight winners of this prize in KY in FY15).
- Lottery proceeds in Kentucky fund college scholarship and grants programs in the Commonwealth. The Kentucky Lottery is the sole funding source of the popular KEES scholarship program, and proceeds are used to fund the need-based College Access Program and Kentucky Tuition Grants. 95 cents of every dollar in non-loan student aid awarded by the Commonwealth comes straight from the sale of KY Lottery tickets. More than $2.4 billion has been provided to these programs since 1999.
- The tax withholding for any KY Lottery prize greater than $5000 is 31% (25% federal, 6% state).
Previous Top 5 jackpots in US history:
1. $656.0 Million March 30, 2012 Mega Millions
2. $648.0 Million Dec. 17, 2013 Mega Millions
3. $590.5 Million May 18, 2013 Powerball
4. $587.5 Million Nov. 28, 2012 Powerball
5. $564.1 Million Feb. 11, 2015 Powerball