Help Wanted: Improving your online job search
The chances are good you’re sitting at your laptop right now, maybe searching for a job. We’re betting your search has room for improvement.
Here are five ways to improve your online job search, according to U.S. News & World Report:
- Take time to build your network, both in person and online. Attend networking events, participate in your professional organizations and introduce yourself to people.
- Narrow your applications to a relatively few positions. Don’t waste your time with jobs you aren’t well qualified for.
- Do your research before you reach out to the employer.
- Figure out how you can network your way into the company before you apply. Use LinkedIn, for example, to proactively reach out to key players.
- Ask contacts if the company has an employee referral program. If they do, find out if they’re willing to forward your resume to the right person.
To read the full article, click here.
Here are upcoming hiring events through the Kentucky Career Center:
- Extra Help: Every third Thursday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. they set up shop at the center at 416 S. 6th St. Hiring general laborers, clerical and professional positions.
- Lowes hiring event at 12 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Feb. 11 at 3131 Irvin Cobb Drive in Paducah; hiring for multiple positions.
- TeleTech: Feb 3 – hiring for Customer Services Representatives.
- Green Turtle Bay: from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Feb. 19 at the GTB Conference Center at 245 Bayside Drive, Grand Rivers, KY, 42045; hiring for multiple positions. To see more information, click here.
Here is a list of upcoming workshops offered through the Kentucky Career Center:
- Resume Workshop: Offered from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on Feb. 19 at the Kentucky Career Center in Paducah; RSVP required. Call the center at 270-575-7000.
- To see a list of workshops the Kentucky Career Center offers at West Kentucky Community and Technical College, click here.
If there’s a job opening you’d like me to pass along, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.