MCHS team wins Governor’s Cup Regional Tournament
MCCRACKEN COUNTY, KY —
The McCracken County High School Academic Team took first place overall in the Governor’s Cup Regional Tournament over the weekend.
MCHS says its team competed against 13 schools. More than 100 students from Ballard, Calloway, Carlisle, Fulton, Graves, Hickman, Marshall, and McCracken counties participated in the tournament, which was held Saturday at Graves County High School.
The cup consists of the following events:
- Five written assessment examinations in mathematics, science, social studies, language arts and arts/humanities
- Composition, which involves on-demand writing
- Quick recall
- Future problem solving, which is a creative thinking competition
The MCHS team had 10 written assessment and composition winners and finished first in future problem solving, along with winning the quick recall tournament.
The following individual students advanced to the state finals:
- Composition: Katlyn Woodard (second)
- Mathematics: Zach Althouse (second), Drew Schofield (third), and Alex Bohannon (fifth)
- Science: Ethan Brown (first) and Zach Althouse (fourth)
- Social studies: Jonny Wallace (second)
- Language arts: Caleigh Propes (first)
- Arts/humanities: Caleigh Propes (second) and Hannah Newberry (fourth).
The state finals will be held March 19-21 in Louisville.
The Future Problem Solving Team members were Barton Christmas, Caleigh Propes, Caroline Smith, and Henrietta Ransdell. They are coached by Melissa Bryan.
The Quick Recall team members were Zach Althouse, Hannah Newberry, Ethan Brown, Sean Sieczka, David Dodd, Dustyn Hofer, Zach Stone, Jonny Wallace, Matt Poat, Drew Schofield, and Alex Bohannon. The coaches are Rodney Holt and Tammy Bohannon.