Federal disaster aid deadline for eligible Missourians March 21

March 21 is the deadline to register for two types of federal assistance for Missourians in the 33 counties designated for aid because of storms and flooding from Dec. 23 to Jan. 9. 

A federal disaster declaration covers losses in Barry, Barton, Camden, Cape Girardeau, Cole, Crawford, Franklin, Gasconade, Greene, Hickory, Jasper, Jefferson, Laclede, Lawrence, Lincoln, Maries, McDonald, Morgan, Newton, Osage, Phelps, Polk, Pulaski, Scott, St. Charles, St. Francois, St. Louis, Ste. Genevieve, Stone, Taney, Texas, Webster and Wright counties. 

The two types of aid from the Federal Emergency Management Agency are grants and low interest loans. 

  • FEMA says individuals and families may be eligible for FEMA grants, which do not have to be repaid. The grants help people pay for rent if the disaster displaced them from their homes, make basic home repairs, or cover other serious disaster-related losses. 
  • The main form of federal help after a disaster is the low interest disaster loan from the U.S. Small Business Administration . SBA loans are available for businesses of all sizes, most nonprofit organizations, homeowners, and renters. 

FEMA says it encourages people to register for assistance even if they have insurance or if their damage is minor. The agency says it may be able to help insured people with losses their insurance doesn’t cover. FEMA says folks with minor damage may later find out it’s more extensive than they originally thought. 

You can register online at DisasterAssistance.gov or by calling toll-free 800-621-3362 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week. Multilingual registration assistance is available. Survivors can also register using the fema.gov app for smartphones.

Disaster assistance applicants who are hard of hearing or have a speech disability and use TTY can call 800-462-7585. Those who use 711 or Video Relay Service can call 800-621-3362.

Several disaster recovery centers are still open in Missouri where in-person assistance is available from FEMA and SBA. To find a location, click here. 

Related Articles