Murray-Calloway County Hospital hosting free screenings, other events in April
Murray-Calloway County Hospital has announced educational health promotion events in April for community members, Center for Health & Wellness members and MCCH employees, as well as free community health screenings.
Plan to Be Tobacco Free will be held from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. on Thursday, April 21, at the MCCH Center for Health and Wellness. Tracy Tubbs with the Kentucky Cancer Program will present a free 60 minute session on how to be tobacco free. The class will address addiction, behaviors, available resources, and will help smokers develop a quit plan. The hospital says all tobacco users and non-tobacco users who would like to learn more are welcome. Preregistration is required For more information or to register, call Jamie Smith at 270-442-1310.
The following Support Group meetings will be held in April:
- Bariatric Support Group, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 7, and from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, April 12, at the Bariatric Solutions Office. For more information, call Bariatric Solutions at 270-762-1547.
- Breastfeeding Support Group from from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. on Monday, April 4, and Thursday, April 21, at the Center for Health & Wellness.
- Dialysis Support Group from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Tuesday, April 12 at the Center for Health & Wellness. For more information, contact Tasha Mitchell at 270-759-3080.
- ALS Support Group from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Thursday, April 14, in the MCCH Board Room. For more information, contact Mitzi Cathey at 270-293-1748.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness at 6:30 p.m on Thursday, April, 21, at the MCCH Education Building on the corner of 8th and Elm streets. The group is for family and friends of someone diagnosed with a mental illness such as bi-polar, major depression, schizophrenia, OCD, panic disorder, PSTD, borderline personality disorder. For more information, call 270-748-6133.
- Breast Cancer Support Group 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, April 26, from at the Center for Health & Wellness. For more information, contact Evelyn at 270-489-2462.
- Stroke and Head Injury Support 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Monday, April 25, from at the Center for Health & Wellness. For more information, contact Cheryl at 270-293-9442.
MCCH’s Wellness Works program will be offering free community health screenings in April:
- Blood pressure and osteoporosis screenings: From 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. on Thursday, April 21, at the Weaks Community Center, 607 Poplar Street, Murray.
- Blood pressure, osteoporosis screening, body mass index, pulmonary function screening and waist circumference: From 6 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 12 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Monday, April 25, at the MCCH Center for Health and Wellness. Call 270-752-1348 to schedule an appointment.
- Blood pressure, osteoporosis screening, body mass index, pulmonary function screening and waist circumference screenings: from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. on Tuesday, April 26, at Spring Creek at 1401 South 16th St. in Murray.
- Osteoporosis screening: From 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday, April 27, from at the Mayfield Senior Center at 901 N. 15th St. in Mayfield.