Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin to announce Medicaid proposal
About 400,000 Kentuckians are about to find out what Republican Gov. Matt Bevin wants to do with their health insurance.
Bevin has scheduled a news conference for 9:30 a.m. Wednesday to announce his plan to replace Kentucky’s expanded Medicaid program.
Former Democratic Gov. Steve Beshear expanded the program’s eligibility requirements by executive order, resulting in about 400,000 people getting health insurance. The expanded program helped reduce Kentucky’s uninsured population form 20 percent to 7.5 percent.
But Bevin says the program is too expensive. He has said he wants to reduce the number of people on Medicaid. Last month, Medicaid Commissioner Stephen Miller said Kentuckians under the new plan likely would not have to pay a premium for their health insurance, but they could see reduced benefits.