Date(s) & Time(s)::
February 2, 2013 at 2:00 PM until 6:00 PM
Location: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Carbondale, 7168 Old Rte. 13/Murphysboro Rd., located between Tower Rd. and Country Club Rd
Hurricane Sandy, Harrisburg, Joplin and now Newtown have heightened our awareness that an unexpected disaster can happen at anytime. Would you like to have great peace of mind knowing your family is prepared for whatever may be ahead? Whether it is loss of job, derecho or earthquake, The Preparedness Fair Saturday, February 2nd at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (located between Tower Rd. and Country Club Rd. in Carbondale) will help you begin your efforts to survive future disasters. Learn tips on weather advisories, responding to an active shooter, communication skills and much more.Return to event list.
Please mark your calendar now for GET READY! Preparedness Fair, Saturday February 2nd from 2 to 6pm.
• Jim Rasor, WSIL-TV3 chief meteorologist will be our key note speaker at 2pm.
• Larry Morse will discuss “Active Shooter Response" at 3:15pm.
• The University of Illinois Extension Office will give tips on interpersonal relationship skills and conflict resolution at 4:15pm.
• A presentation of “Suddenly… on an Average Day,” a movie that Assistant Dean of the College of Science at SIU Carbondale, Harvey Hanson and Scott Hodgson of the University of Oklahoma produced with grant support from IEMA and in partnership with CUSEC will be shown at 5:15pm with a discussion about earthquakes.
• We will have a Red Cross Blood Drive at the building at that time as well as many organizations and agencies from the community sharing information at booths.
For more information contact Kara Dunkel at 618.529.4042.
There will be many organizations and individuals with tips to help you begin preparing as well as scheduled presentations:
2pm Jim Rasor, WSIL TV3 chief meteorologist
3:15pm Larry Morse: Active Shooter Response
4:15pm U of I: Conflict Resolution Skills
5:15pm SIUC: The movie “Suddenly… on an Average Day ”
As of Jan. 5th organizations and individuals scheduled to have a space to share tips:
Advanced Energy Solutions: Alternative Energy
Barlow, Mitch: Disaster Sanitation Needs
Burns, Patricia: Emergency Food Tips
Carbondale Fire Dept.: Contributing Fire Prevention Materials
CUSEC (Central Untied States Earthquake Consortium out of Memphis, Tenn.),
Brian Blake: Earthquake Prep
Dunkel, Ron: Solar Oven & Alternative Cooking Tips
Ellimon, Robb: Emergency Hot Shower Structure
Herron, Mina: Family Budgeting materials
Jackson Cty. Health Dept.: Pandemic information
Map Your Neighborhood: 9 Steps to Home Preparedness
Mathias, James: Generator Tips
Paul, Dr. Bradley: Ham Radio Information
Ratnapridipa, Kendra: Winter Storm Preparation
Rheal, Joyce: Pet Emergency Preparations
Schuler, Aurora: Children’s Activity
Shawnee Heath Service: Elder Abuse Prevention
The Women's Center: Domestic Violence and Child Abuse Prevention in a Disaster
Welling, Amy: Triage and Emergency Medicine Tips