Gourmet Minutes - Bacon Wrapped Scallops
On this week's Gourmet Minutes with Mallory, Shandies chef Karla Lawrence shows Mike how to make bacon wrapped scallops.
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 12 slices bacon
- 24 large sea scallops, tendons removed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lemons, halved
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh scallions
- Place 4 layers of paper towels on a large plate and arrange 6 slices of bacon over towels in a single layer. Top with 4 more paper towels and the remaining 6 bacon slices. Cover with 2 layers of paper towels; place second large plate on top and press gently to flatten. Microwave until fat begins to render but bacon is still pliable, about 4 minutes. Toss scallops, butter, salt and pepper together in bowl until scallops are thoroughly coated with butter.
- Press 2 scallops together, side to side, and wrap with 1 slice of bacon, trimming excess as necessary. Thread onto skewer through bacon. Repeat with remaining scallops and bacon, threading 3 bundles onto each of 4 skewers.
- For a charcoal grill: Open bottom vent completely. Light large chimney starter filled with charcoal briquettes (6 quarts). When top coals are partially covered with ash, pour 2/3 evenly over half the grill, then pour remaining coals over the other half of the grill. Set cooking grate in place, cover and open lid vent completely. Heat grill until hot, about 5 minutes.
- For a gas grill: Turn all burners to high, cover and heat grill until hot, about 15 minutes. Leave primary burner on high and turn other burners to medium.
- Clean and oil cooking grate. Place skewers, bacon side down, and lemon halves, cut side down, on the cooler side of the grill. Cook (covered, if using gas) until bacon is crispy on first side, about 4 minutes. Flip skewers onto the other bacon side and cook until crispy, about 4 minutes longer. Flip skewers scallop side down and move to the hot side of the grill. Grill until sides of scallops are firm and centers are opaque, about 4 minutes on 1 side only. Transfer skewers to platter, squeeze lemon over and sprinkle with chives.