Gourmet Minutes - Thai Style Asparagus
On this week's Gourmet Minutes with Mallory, Artisan Kitchen chef Karla Lawrence shows Mike how to make Thai Style Asparagus.
- 1 1/2 pounds thin asparagus, rinsed and ends snapped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon serrano chile or jalapeno chiles, halved, seeds and ribs removed, chiles cut out crosswise 1/8 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon Soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 large chiles of your choice, sliced on the diagonal into thin ovals, or 9 thin strips cut from a red bell pepper
- Bring 1 inch water to boil in a soup kettle. Put asparagus in steamer basket, then carefully place steamer basket in kettle; cover and steam over medium-high heat until asparagus is slightly undercooked, about 4 minutes for medium spears. Drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat a wok or large, deep skillet over high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat surface.
- Add garlic and minced chile; toss until garlic begins to turn golden, about 15 seconds.
- Add the asparagus; stir-fry until coated with oil, about 15 seconds.
- Add soy sauce and 1 tablespoon water; stir-fry until liquid almost evaporates, about 30 seconds.
- Add sugar; stir-fry another 30 seconds. Add the basil and sliced chiles; stir-fry until basil wilts. Serve hot or at room temperature.