Home heater safety stressed as seasons change

Tools

Reporter - Briana Conner
Photographer - Mason Watkins

CALLOWAY COUNTY, Ky. - Investigators are still trying to figure out what sparked the explosion that destroyed a Calloway County home Saturday night. As the seasons change, fire prevention experts are cautioning everyone to have their home heating systems checked as a way to prevent possible disasters.

One mistake and one second is all it takes to turn a cold night into a deadly one. "If you have any gas build up, just flipping the switch can make an explosion or cause a fire," said Captain Scott Snyder with Calloway County Fire-Rescue. He said propane is often an easy culprit. "A gallon of liquid propane is equivalent to about 17 sticks of dynamite."

That's why he suggests people call a professional before they ever light their first fire. "Everything has to be checked. It should be done every fall, especially if you have a gas heating system," said Jamie Vance. He does home heating inspections and said it's something best left to the professionals. "Safety first. You're looking for propane leaks, natural gas leaks, and carbon monoxide." He checks for situations that can be deadly with a little time and a little mistake.

Fire prevention experts also suggest regularly testing the batteries in the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in your home.
 

Advertisement