SHARPE, KY - This blast of recent arctic air can cause problems in an instant. One example is Thursday night's house fire in the Sharpe community of Marshall County.
A home on Scale Road burst into flames around 6p.m. The cold temperatures alone made it tough for firefighters to work and water freezing inside tanks also made things difficult for crews.
Friday afternoon investigators continued gathering information and try to piece together what exactly happened, including if anyone was actually inside the home at the time of the fire. Witnesses tell Local 6 and authorities that they spotted people at the residence Thursday afternoon, however, the man renting the home is out of state. Also, the man who actually owns the home lives in Paducah.
Ed Teodozow lives across the street from the home and walks his dog everyday, even in winter. What is out of the norm is witnessing his neighbor's house explode into flames.
"It was so engulfed. It was unbelievable," Teodozow said. "It started like in the back. There was a big old boom back there and then all of a sudden you could see the flames start shooting out like in the middle of the house."
Fellow neighbor Jeff Brasher also witnessed the fire.
"I thought 'Lord, help'," Brasher exclaimed. "I looked out my garage and it was blazing bad."
Brasher and a friend drove by the scene Friday to catch a glimpse of what's left including smoldering pieces of wood, collapsed roofing and some small flames.
"This was a two story home and it was above the tree line. You could see it smoking and blazing. It lit up the whole area," Brasher said.
Possum Trot-Sharpe Fire Chief Rick Pershing said the man renting the home is out of town, but what's still not clear is if anyone was inside at the time. Neighbors said the house is always busy with people and cars.
"There's somebody here everyday. Everyday, all hours of the day. It's so unusual you know, nobody's even here today," Teodozow.
Fire Chief Pershing said it isn't uncommon to search through the fire's debris looking for a person but until the State Fire Marshal gives the green light, his office is at a standstill.