METROPOLIS, IL.--They're one of the area's largest employers and workers say they've also managed to create chaos again.
More than 300 Metropolis Honeywell workers were laid off with no notice back on May 10th, the factory temporarily shut down.
A week ago the company told Local 6 they'd be up and running on or around July first.
On Thursday workers got a call saying they needed to report to work Friday, then hours later they got another call, leaving a community that depends on Honeywell wondering what will happen next.
During the second call Honeywell stated that there was a big change in plans, and not to come to work.
Local 6 spoke with an employee who got both calls; on the second call he asked what was going on and when he could expect to return to work, and the person on the other end said they didn't know.
Local 6 reached out to Honeywell and the Nuclear Regulatory commission to find out what's going on.
"Wanna let you know the plant is calling you to work, effective tomorrow, the 22nd, you may report to your regular day shift."
That's the message Christian Musselman's received. His initial reaction was relief because the father of three says he misses his Honeywell paycheck. So you can imagine how he felt, when the phone rang again, it was Honeywell again, this time delivering a different message.
"He indicated disregard that voice mail and not to show up, there was a change in business plans," Musselman said.
Musselman asked what the change was and why, but said the person on the phone said they too didn't know what was going on.
"The worst part is not knowing how long this is going to be and they won't tell us how long it's going to be," Musselman said.
Honeywell released this statement;
"Honeywell's Metropolis facility has extended the plant's annual production shutdown from the previously scheduled completion date of July 1. We are doing so to evaluate additional work that may be needed in response to comprehensive inspections that the NRC conducted at all U.S. nuclear facilities. In the weeks ahead, we intend to continue our reviews and consultations with the NRC.
Honeywell and the NRC are in continuous dialogue about upgrades at the plant. In May, the operations and safety record of Metropolis Works was confirmed by the NRC as part of its License Performance Review when it said the plant is operating safely.
As has been our practice throughout the annual maintenance shutdown period, we will have some employees working at the plant and recall others as needed. We do not yet have an estimated time for restarting operations."
Local 6 reached out to the N.R.C. who said they recently inspected nuclear plants across the nation as part of a post-Fukashima safety measure.
The N.R.C. said the Metropolis Honeywell plant checked out O.K. and they didn't recommend any immediate repairs or changes be made, and that it was Honeywell who decided to stay shut down.
"We know there's work for us to be doing in there, I think they're just trying to prove a point to the union they can lay us off if they want to," Musselman said.
He thinks it's because of bad blood that dates back to the 13 month lock-out that ended last august.
"Let us go back into the plant and do our jobs please," Musselman said.
Musselman told Local 6 me part of the U.S.W./Honeywell contract states that the company can't lay off union workers if independent contractors are in the plant, he said right now contractors are in there, doing jobs that union workers are qualified to do.
He went on to say the union is considering suing the company for violating the terms of the contract.
The N.R.C. Told us us the Metropolis Honeywell plant is meeting all the current safety regulations.
The N.R.C. said they are still investigating the two UF6 leaks that occurred during the lockout.