Boston bombings suspect moved from hospital to prison
Boston Marathon bombings suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was transferred to a Massachusetts prison medical center on Friday from the hospital where he had been held since his arrest a week ago.
"The U.S. Marshals Service confirms that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has been transported from the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and is now confined at the Bureau of Prisons facility FMC Devens," U.S. Marshals Service spokesman Drew Wade said in a statement.
The 19-year-old's condition improved from serious to fair on Tuesday. But his injuries -- including a gunshot wound to the head and neck that may be self-inflicted -- were so severe he initially communicated with investigators in writing.
FMC Devens is an administrative facility housing male offenders requiring specialized or long-term medical or mental health care, according to its website. It is about 39 miles west of Boston, on the decommissioned military base of Fort Devens in Devens, Mass.
How long the University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth student spends there depends in large part on whether prosecutors decide to seek the death penalty -- a decision that is months away and will ultimately be made by Attorney General Eric Holder.
Tsarnaev has told investigators that he and his elder brother Tamerlan acted alone when they built and detonated two pressure-cooker bombs near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on April 14.
Three people were killed in the attack, and more than 170 injured -- including many with life-changing injuries such as lost limbs. Tamerlan, 26, died in a shootout with police in Watertown, Mass., last Friday.
The brothers were motivated by a desire to defend Islam because of "the U.S. wars in Iraq and Afghanistan," according to a source close to the investigation.
Federal authorities charged him Monday with using a weapon of mass destruction.
Experts said Wednesday that Tsarnaev will likely be subject to special administrative measures that could sharply curtail his contact with fellow prisoners and the outside world.
Stephen Huggard, a former Boston federal prosecutor who worked on the 9/11 investigation, said Tsarnaev's parents, who are in Russia and have insisted he's being framed, may not even be allowed to visit.
The mother of the Tsarnaev brothers insisted Thursday that her sons are not responsible for the attack and said she did not see any aggression in the older brother, even when the FBI questioned him two years ago.
Speaking to reporters in Russia, Zubeidat Tsarnaeva also said the elder son, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, came to Russia for six months last year to attend a family wedding, visit relatives and later renew his Kyrgyzstan passport.
“America took my kids away from me,” she said. “I’m sure my kids were not involved in anything.”
U.S. investigators have said they want to know more about why Tamerlan Tsarnaev was in Russia. When he returned to the United States in July, he began posting radical Islamic videos to his YouTube account.