Fort Hood trial resumes as lawyers demand removal

Tools

Associated Press

FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) - A military judge has resumed the Fort Hood shooting trial despite demands from the suspect's standby attorneys that they be removed from the case.
   
The lawyers have been helping Maj. Nidal Hasan represent himself during the trial at the Texas military base.
   
They asked to over his defense on Wednesday, saying Hasan appeared to be trying to convince jurors to convict him and sentence him to death.
   
The judge denied their request Thursday. The standby attorneys said they would appeal, saying the judge was forcing them to violate professional rules of conduct.
   
The judge briefly recessed but later resumed the trial, telling the lawyers to resume their roles.
   
Hasan is facing 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder. If convicted, he'd face the death penalty.

Earlier story:

FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) - A military judge says the soldier on trial for the 2009 Fort Hood shooting rampage can continue to represent himself.
    
Defense lawyers who have been helping Maj. Nidal Hasan had asked the judge on Wednesday to let them take over the case. They said Hasan appeared to be trying to convince jurors to convict him and sentence him to death.
    
But the judge sided with Hasan on Thursday, saying it's clear the standby attorneys simply disagree with Hasan's defense strategy.
    
The judge also ordered the attorneys to continue in their role aiding Hasan.
    
Hasan has said little since the trial began Tuesday. He told jurors he was responsible for the attack that killed 13 people on the Texas military base. He's questioned only two of the dozen witnesses so far.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Advertisement