Daylight lane restrictions set on Ohio River Bridge at Cairo

Tools

MCCRACKEN COUNTY, Ky. - Anyone planning daytime travel over the Ohio River Bridge at Cairo might consider planning a few extra minutes through the month of May.

A contractor for the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet plans to restrict traffic to one lane on the US 51/US 60/US 62 Ohio River Bridge between Wickliffe, Ky., and Cairo, Ill., during daylight hours starting Monday, April 30.

This lane restriction is to allow daytime maintenance and electrical work on the bridge.  Motorists can expect to encounter one lane traffic with alternating flow controlled by flaggers from approximately 8:00 a.m. to approximately 4:00 p.m., CDT, on weekdays.  The lane restriction may occasionally remain in place as late as 6:00 p.m. on some days.

The work is expected to take about 3 to 4 weeks to complete, weather permitting.  KYTC will attempt to provide timely updates as the work progresses.

Motorists should be alert for equipment, flaggers, and inspection personnel on the bridge deck in close proximity to traffic flow.  Delays should be minimal, generally less than about 5 minutes.

Farmers who need to move oversize equipment across the bridge or truckers hauling wide loads should contact the KYTC Paducah office at (270)898-2431 during normal business hours to make special arrangements to travel through this work zone.  The contractor will attempt to accommodate oversize loads in a timely manner.

The Wickliffe-Cairo Bridge carries US 51, US 60, and US 62 traffic across the Ohio River at US 51 Kentucky mile point 7.372.

Also known as The Cairo Bridge, the US 51/US 60/US 62 Wickliffe-Cairo Bridge carries approximately 5,500 vehicles across the Ohio River each day between Wickliffe, KY, and Cairo, IL.   It connects with the US 60/US 62 Mississippi River Bridge to Bird’s Point, Missouri at the southern tip of Illinois.

The US 51 Ohio River Bridge was constructed by the Cairo Bridge Commission as a toll facility and opened to traffic on November 11, 1936.  Tolls were removed from the crossing on November 11, 1948, when the highway departments of Kentucky and Illinois took over maintenance of the structure.

Advertisement