Redhawks Blank Ole Miss During Second Half in 31-13 Loss


WPSD Sports

OXFORD, Miss. - Southeast Missouri (0-2) h did not allow a point during the second half in a 31-13 loss to Ole Miss (2-0) Saturday night in front of a sellout crowd of 60,815 at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium.
Southeast scored all of its points in the third quarter and had two takeways in the second stanza. The Redhawks 13 points surpassed their entire point total from their previous four matchups against Southeastern Conference opponents combined (10).
The Redhawks trailed, 31-0, at the intermission, but regrouped to have a much better showing in the second half.
"We played a very good football team and once we settled down, we did some good things," Said Southeast head coach Tony Samuel. "The bright lights and their speed affected us. But, we showed some sparks and we will work to eliminate our mistakes and go from here."
D.J. Foster hauled in his first touchdown of the season and 10th of his career on a 14-yard pass from Scott Lathrop with 7:30 remaining in the third quarter.
Ron Davis then forced a fumble and Cantrell Andrews scooped up the ball and dashed 43 yards to set up Southeast's other score.
On the third play after Andrews' fumble return, Lathrop hooked up with Spencer Davis on a 16-yard touchdown pass which narrowed the lead to 31-13 at the 2:46 mark.
Ole Miss used a 20-minute outburst to mount its big lead midway through the second quarter.
Quarterbacks Bo Wallace and Barry Brunetti directed five-straight scoring drives that ultimately ended any hopes of an upset from the Ohio Valley Conference Redhawks.
Wallace connected on five of his first nine pass attempts to engineer an 11-play, 42-yard march that resulted in a 37-yard field goal by Andrew Ritter.
Wallace threw a 16-yard completion to Laquon Treadwell on a 4th-and-9 to keep the drive alive before Ritter's kick gave the Rebels a 3-0 lead with 9:02 left to play in the first quarter.
Ole Miss stopped Southeast on its next two possessions and put up two quick scores after that.
Lewis Washington fumbled the ball and Chief Brown recovered for Ole Miss at the Redhawks 47-yardline. Brunetti's 4-yard touchdown run capped an 8-play, 47-yard drive in just 2:21.
Immediately after forcing the Redhawks to punt, Wallace threw a 64-yard touchdown pass to Evan Engram, extending the Rebels lead to 17-0 with 1:06 on the clock.
Ole Miss added another touchdown in less than a minute when Wallace hit Donte Moncrief for a 67-yard strike in a drive lasting only 37 seconds. Moncrief's TD made it 24-0 at the 13:03 mark of the second quarter.
The Rebels forced Southeast to punt for the third-consecutive time before a 10-yard touchdown run by I'Tavius Mathers capped Ole Miss' scoring.

Ole Miss had 532 yards of total offense, but turned the ball over three times.

Brunetti threw for 48 yards and rushed for 111 yards and one touchdown on 18 carries.

Wallace completed 8-of-15 passes for 188 yards and two touchdowns.

Lathrop threw for 159 yards and two touchdowns in his first start of the season. He completed 16-of-24 passes and threw one interception.

Defensively, Matt Starks led Southeast with 11 tackles. Daniel Siehndel had his first career interception, while Andrews and Travis Sanders each recovered a fumble. The Redhawks added two sacks, as well.

Southeast will be idle next week before facing regional-rival Southern Illinois in the first NCAA football game at Busch Stadium on Sept. 21.

From: SEMO media relations

Follow WPSD Sports on Facebook by clicking here.
Follow WPSD Twitter on Facebook by clicking here.