Funeral arrangements set for man who died in house fire
TAMMS, IL -
UPDATE: Funeral arrangements for set for Dunning. Visitation is Monday, January 5, 2015 between 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. where a memorial service will follow at the Jones Funeral Home in Tamms.
One man is dead, and a community is in mourning, after an early morning fire in Tamms, Illinois.
"About 4:30 or 5:00 this morning my niece came running out pounding on our trailer, saying the house is on fire, the house is on fire," said Jane Dunning.
Dunning's mother-in-law, sister-in-law, and two nieces were able to quickly escape, but her 65-year-old father-in-law Billy was trapped inside.
"We got to the door and we couldn't go in because the smoke over took us," said Dunning. "It was fully engulfed by the time the fire department got here."
Billy Dunning would pass away in the fire, which the family believes was caused by bad wiring in the old house.
Jane Dunning says that while their material items can be replaced, their family patriarch cannot.
"I'm going to miss him," said Dunning. "He was a preacher and I'm going to regret that I never got to hear him preach."
The American Red Cross has reached out to the Dunning family, but it will take them some time to get back on their feet.
If you want to help the Dunning family you can contact Jane Dunning at (618) 306-4885.