They are a Fourth of July tradition, but fireworks aren't always harmless. Crissy Courtney with Talon Falls Fireworks tells her customers not all fireworks work best for everybody.
"They may not know the nature of the fireworks. So, it's our job to describe the nature of the firework and let them know exactly what the firework is going to do," she said.
Courtney urges buyers to read the labels and instructions. Local 6's Robert Bradfield received first and second degree burns while holding unlit sparklers at a wedding in June. They are popular during the holiday, and Courtney wants parents to check the length of the sparkler handle because it may not provide much space for fingers.
"Based on the age of the child, we always try to recommend, especially if they are doing it for very little ones, some of our ones that have longer handles. Or even our three feet long ones," Courtney told Local 6.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission reports 200 people are injured every day from fireworks in the month leading up to July Fourth. According to trauma specialist Jennifer Parks, some fireworks and sparklers can reach temperatures of 2,000 degrees. "People tend to view sparklers as the innocent type of firework. So when you hand them to a kid, they assume their child is not going to get hurt," Parks said.
Courtney said parents need to ask questions if they don't know how a certain firework operates because it could result in unnecessary trips to the emergency room.
"Hopefully we can talk to and communicate with the customer, and make sure that they are safe and going to have a great show for them, and given them tips on the best way to do things," she said.