West Kentucky Rural Electric Cooperative Corporation says a power outage is planned for members in the Calvert City/Gilbertsville area of Marshall County starting Wednesday night.
WKRECC says about 600 members will be affected by the outage, which will begin around 10:30 p.m. Wednesday and continue through around 5:30 a.m. Thursday.
The outage is planned so Tennessee Valley Authority crews can repair transmission lines that provide electricity to WKRECC's Gilbertsville substation. While TVA's work is going on, WKRECC crews will complete a series of switching operations in the area, the company says to "help reduce the impact of the outage."
In an announcement about the outage sent today, WKRECC provided some advice for members who will be included in the outage. The company advised:
WKRECC will be placing automated calls to members affected by the outage. The automated call will go to the primary number associated with each account. Members may call WKRECC at 1-877-495-7322 to update their phone number if it has recently changed.
WKRECC urges members to plan ahead for the 7-hour outage. Reach out to family or friends who are elderly, in poor health or who have infants at home, to make sure they are aware of the outage and help them prepare.
Here are a few tips for dealing with power outages:
- Make sure cell phones and other devices are fully charged.
- Place flashlights and extra batteries in a central, accessible location.
- Avoid using candles due to the risk of fire.
- Prior to the start of the outage, turn off and unplug all unnecessary electrical equipment, including sensitive electronics.
- Keep freezers and refrigerators closed, to keep food fresh.
- Air conditioners/furnaces should be turned off during power outages. Do not turn them back on for several minutes after the power has been restored.
- If the health of family members is a concern, consider staying with family or friends outside the outage area where electricity is available.
- If you choose to use a standby generator, be sure it has been installed and wired properly. Learn more about generator safety at wkrecc.com
If you have questions about the outage, you can call WKRECC at 1-877-495-7322 or 270-247-1321.
100 Television Lane
Paducah, KY 42003