This information is from Jessica Sexton, spokesperson for the City of Cape Girardeau:
Cape Girardeau may be past its highest river level of this flooding event. The highest gauge reading was 48.86 feet at approximately 10 p.m. on Jan. 1. As of 2 p.m. on Jan. 2, the NWS reports Cape Girardeau's river level is at 48.49 feet. The river will only fall slowly over the next couple of days, then begin to fall quickly.
Even though the river may not continue rising, we are still considered in "major flood stage" in Cape Girardeau and surrounding areas. Crews continue staying vigilant and inspecting wall and levee structures several times daily while the water remains elevated. The floodwall gates in Cape Girardeau continue to remain closed. Both pumping stations remain operating.
Public Works delivered another load of sand and 1,000 bags to Red Star Baptist Church about 1 p.m. on Jan. 2. This will be the last of these supplies to be delivered to the church unless the river forecast changes dramatically. We have used and given out about 22,000 bags.
The Red Cross shelter at Osage Centre remains open, with 6 persons reportedly staying. The pet shelter at the 4-H Building in Arena Park is also open, and has been housing 35 pets. The pet shelter remains open until owners can return home and take pets with them.
Several roads in select areas of Cape Girardeau remain closed due to flooding. The Bill Emerson Memorial Bridge and Interstate 55 access to town remain open, with no current intention of being closed. The public is asked to NOT STOP on the Bill Emerson Bridge to view the river. This is causing a public safety concern and blocking traffic. Crews will assess cleanup needs along streets as water recedes.
As of Saturday afternoon, the following streets are still closed:
· The intersection of Old Sprigg and Old Hwy 61 is closed to northbound travel. Local traffic only is available for businesses in the area.
· Intersection of Johnson/Hill streets
· Off-Ramp ONLY of I-55 NB to Hwy 74 - mile marker 93
· Off-Ramp ONLY of I-55 SB to Hwy 74
· Big Bend Rd. creek bridge (Hwy 177, truck route, just north of Isle Casino Cape Girardeau). Traffic will be detoured.
· Johnson St. at Water St.
· 2nd St. at Big Bend Rd.
· 3rd St. at Spanish St.
· 4th St. at Spanish St.
· 5th St. at Main St.
· Main St. at 5th
· Aquamsi St. near Morgan Oak
· Aquamsi St. at S. Fountain St.
· Maple St. at Giboney St.
· Elm St. at Giboney St.
· Sprigg at La Cruz St.
· Hwy 61 - right lane closed to Route 74 (Source: MoDOT)
· Route 74 from Hwy 25 to the Diversion Channel (portions of extreme southern Cape Girardeau over to Dutchtown)
· Ramp from Interstate 55 from Route 74 to Blomeyer (Source: MoDOT)
· South Kingshighway from Route 74 to the Diversion Channel. (Source: MoDOT)
· Route 74 from Hwy 25 to the Diversion Channel (portions of extreme southern Cape Girardeau over to Dutchtown; Source: MoDOT)
100 Television Lane
Paducah, KY 42003