As part of our Happiness in the Social Media Age special report, we want to help you find out if you're addicted to social media.
The Bergen Facebook Addiction Scale is the work of Dr. Cecilie Andraessen at the University of Bergen and can help you identify if you are addicted to social media.
The scale focuses on Facebook, but can be applied to any other social media consumption.
Andraessen asks six questions about how you use social media. If you answer “often” or “very often” to at least four of these questions you may be addicted to social media. For ways to be happy in this social media age watch the slideshow below.
1. You spend a lot of time thinking about Facebook or planning how to use it.
2. You feel an urge to use Facebook more and more.
3. You use Facebook in order to forget about personal problems.
4. You have tried to cut down on the use of Facebook without success.
5. You become restless or troubled if you are prohibited from using Facebook.
6. You use Facebook so much that it has had a negative impact on your job/studies.
If you want to read more on the Bergen Facebook Addiction Scale, click here.