Man recalls being on fire, pulled from burning building - WPSD Local 6: Your news, weather, and sports authority

Man recalls being on fire, pulled from burning building

Posted: Updated:
MARSHALL CO, Ky -

Standing in the area where he almost lost his son, Jason Pickard not only remembers the phone call, but the first time he saw Kody in the hospital.

"It was one of the scariest things I've ever experienced," Pickard told Local 6.

He said an electric wall heater overheated, burning the office and second story living area of the Lakeland Resort in Marshall County the week before Thanksgiving.  "The smell was one of the things I wanted to get rid of as soon as possible," he said. 

Kody, who was sleeping in the building at the time, woke up to pounding on the window.

We spoke to Kody over the phone. He now lives in the Chicagoland area and said he vividly remembers being pulled from the burning building. That building has since been torn down and, when you look at the damage, it's remarkable his injuries didn't kill him.

"I was on fire when I got out, and they put a blanket on me to get me out and then dragged me away from the house," Kody recalled. 

He had burns to his right arm, and his lungs were full of smoke. He spent more than a month in ICU and is now out of rehab. His message for the three men who saved his life is simple, but sincere.

"If I could repay them somehow, someway, I don't know how I would, but just saying thank you," Kody said.

There are plans to rebuild.  Pickard is waiting on insurance and hopes Kody will be able to rejoin him in the family business soon. "Hopefully, in a year or so time, he'll be back where he was," Pickard said. 

Powered by Frankly