Kaedyn Haynes, 9, loves the Fourth of July because of the fireworks. He's responsible with them now, but that wasn't always the case.
"I was playing with bottle rockets, and we threw them up in the air. And it came down and blew up beside my leg," says Kaedyn.
The bottle rocket cause his skin to burn and blister, but Kaedyn got lucky because it could have been much worse.
Jeremy Jeffrey, EMS director at Mercy Regional, says burns usually happen when people are careless with fireworks.
"People in this area are generally safe, but when we do see injuries that require an ambulance to be called, they're significant," says Jeffrey. "We see anything from just flash burns all the way to second and third degree burns."
If you get a burn that's smaller than the palm of your hand, Jeffrey says to put it under cold water immediately and leave it there for at least five minutes.
"The quicker we get that cooled down, the less tissue that's involved and the less severe the injury is going to be," says Jeffrey.
However, if your burn is bigger than your palm, Jeffrey says don't use cold water because it can cause hypothermia.
Rick Bisson spends his day surrounded by fireworks, selling them in a tent by the mall in Paducah. He says common sense can go a long way when it comes to sparklers and fireworks.
"There are some dangers, you know. You can't really predict what they're going to do," says Bisson.
The best thing you can do, says Bisson, is to pay attention to the warning labels and follow the directions. He says when you're not using the fireworks, put them in a plastic tub with the lid closed. Face the fuses towards the wall, and make sure they're in a cool, dark place that your kids cant get to.
Kaedyn says he's learned his lesson. Unfortunately, it was the hard way.