Honeywell resumes production at Metropolis plant

Honeywell Metropolis spokesman Peter Dalpe says the plant resumed production Thursday morning.

The restart at the plant comes after three emergency drills which tested new emergency procedures. The final drill, conducted Wednesday, was evaluated by inspects from the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission and the Illinois Emergency Management Agency, Dalpe says. The NRC gave Honeywell the go-ahead to restart production after Wednesday’s drill.


PREVIOUS STORY: Honeywell says they are getting ready to reopen the Metropolis plant with enhanced security measures.

The company says they set up more observation points on site to improve and speed incident classification. They also scheduled emergency response drills for next week that the Nuclear Regulatory Commission will monitor.

The spokesperson for USW 7669 sent Local 6 at statement in response. Part of that statement reads, “… Our members have been participating in emergency response drills, monitored by the NRC for decades, and know that they are far from an example of the response that happens in an actual emergency….”

The Union’s President also said in a separate release that Honeywell won’t get the clear to restart until the NRC review a number of changes.

To read Honeywell’s full statement, click here.

To read the Union’s full statement, click here.

Related Articles

President Trump praises Montana congressman who body-slammed reporter President Donald Trump praised a Republican congressman for body-slamming a reporter last year, calling him a “tough cookie” and saying he thinks it m...
Pope receives Kim Jong Un’s invitation to visit North Korea Pope Francis received an invitation Thursday from Kim Jong Un to visit North Korea, and said he would consider the invitation, according to a South Ko...
Rescheduled half marathon to be held this Saturday in Murray The 8th annual Murray Half Marathon was set to take place on April 14 but was postponed due to bad weather.
President Trump: ‘Severe’ consequences if Saudis murdered Khashoggi President Donald Trump says it "certainly looks" as though missing Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi is dead, and he threatened "very severe" consequen...