Be on the lookout: scammers taking advantage of Giving Tuesday
Today is Giving Tuesday. The goal is to support local non-profits who are doing great things in our communities.
There are scammers out there though looking to take advantage of your generosity.
If you haven’t given yet, here are some wise giving tips from the Better Business Bureau so your money goes where you intend for it to.
- Know the charity’s exact name and contact information
- Take time to research a charity before deciding to give
- Resist pressure to give money on the spot
- Review a charity’s website for the basics: a mission, program details, finances, etc.
- Verify the charity is properly registered with the state
- Check an organization’s tax status with the IRS
- Ask for details about how a donation is used
Click here for more ways to protect your donations.