17-year-old could face charges after deputies say he shot his mother’s boyfriend

WEAKLEY COUNTY, TN — After a late-night shooting, a 20-year-old man is dead and a community is left with questions. It happened at the intersection of Pisgah Road and Concord Road.

Deputies say a 17-year-old boy shot 20-year-old Anthony Perry late Tuesday night. We’re told Perry was the boyfriend of the teen’s mother. A preliminary autopsy report finds Perry died of multiple gunshot wounds.

The teen was released early Wednesday morning after he and his sibling were interviewed. While investigators are continuing to work the case, Capt. Randall McGowan says they are waiting on more results from Perry’s autopsy to determine how they need to move forward. McGowan also says what happened could have been prevented.

“This is not the first time I’ve seen something like this happen,” McGowan says.

McGowan has been in law enforcement for 24 years. In that time, he says a domestic incident that turned deadly on Pisgah Road marks one of few he’s seen in Weakley County.

“It doesn’t happen a lot in Weakley County, but it does happen. It happens everywhere. This is just a case where a young man thought his mother was in danger, and he stepped out there to do something about it,” McGowan says.

McGowan says the shooting victim and the 17 year-old’s mother had domestic abuse issues that went unreported for more than a month.

“Had it been reported, we might have been able to intervene and get someone some help prior to this happening. But we didn’t know anything about it, so we’re on the outside looking in when it comes to that,” McGowan says.

While a son of one family is gone and another is waiting to see what charges he will face, if any, McGowan says he hopes anyone who is dealing with domestic abuse will reach out for help.

“If you’re a victim of domestic abuse or you’re having problems and you’re scared for your well being, let the police know. If you don’t, we’re not going to know and there’s nothing we can do about it,” McGowan says.

While the preliminary autopsy report says Perry died of multiple gunshot wounds, McGowan says investigators will have to wait up to a month before Perry’s blood work and other test results come back. When they do, McGowan says the sheriff’s department will partner with the district attorney’s office and the juvenile office to determine how they need to move forward. At that point, McGowan says they will follow their recommendations on what charges, if any, they will bring against the 17 year-old.

For information on this story and others, like Bryce Mansfield on Facebook.