MANCHESTER, CT (WPSD) — A bracelet is being blamed for giving a nine month old baby lead poisoning.
In September of 2016, a baby was found to have high levels of lead in her blood work. The little girl had a blood level of 41 μg/dL. That is eight times over the acceptable upper limit of 5 μg/dL.
The Manchester Health Department was informed and an investigation began.
After searching the home, it was found the baby girl got the lead poisoning from a handmade “homeopathic magnetic hematite healing bracelet.”
The parents bought the bracelet from an artisan at a local fair and gave it to the baby to help with teething discomfort.
Small spacers beads tested positive for lead. The spacers had 17,000 ppm of lead, way above the 100 ppm limit set by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Since there were no marks on the spacers, the manufacturer could not be found. The bracelet maker could also not be found.
The Centers for Disease Control says parents should be aware of the potential of lead poisoning in children who have ingested or mouthed any metal objects, especially jewelry.