Brent Dixon

PADUCAH, KY — A Paducah man was arrested Tuesday night after he accidentally shot himself in the leg.

Around 7:30 p.m., Paducah police were called to a shooting in the parking lot of the Kentucky Oaks Mall.

Officers found 35-year-old Brent Dixon with a gunshot wound to his left leg. He was taken to a local hospital for treatment.

During an interview at the hospital, Dixon admitted to grabbing the gun from another person and accidentally shooting himself. He said the other person took the gun and ran.

Dixon was arrested on an outstanding warrant for failing to appear in court. He was later charged with possession of a handgun by a convicted felon.

Dixon was taken to the McCracken County Regional Jail after being released from the hospital.

Paducah police say the shooting caused a great deal of concern Tuesday night as many people were sharing incorrect information on social media.

The department had this to say,

“When arriving at a scene like the one Tuesday night, officers’ first priority is to secure the scene, care for the injured and locate the suspect. The safety of the public is always foremost in officers’ minds. Crime scenes often are very chaotic, and it can take a while to separate fact from fiction. As a result, it may be an hour or more before the police department can make an official release of information to the media and the public.

Posts of rumors and incorrect information can cause fear and panic, and can actually hinder police in their investigation. We understand that information about an alleged “active shooter” in the mall was provided by individuals outside of the police department, and officers at the scene were unaware of this. Otherwise, they would have addressed it immediately with store employees and those individuals.

The police department promises to disseminate as much factual information as possible, as quickly as possible. But, we also ask the public to be very cautious and responsible about what is shared on social media.”