BENTON, KY – Crews still don’t know what caused a local apartment building to go up in flames.
It happened around 7 a.m. Wednesday morning at the Allendale Apartments on Golf Course Road in Benton, Kentucky.
Karla Jones, who lives in the apartment, says the building was supposed to be pressure washed that morning. She says she woke up early to remove the things from her porch, and when she went back inside, her apartment was on fire.
“I tried to put it out with a rug, but it was obvious within just a few seconds that wasn’t going to happen,” says Jones.
That’s when Jones says she started knocking on neighbors’ doors.
“I was just scared that I wouldn’t be able to get everybody awake,” says Jones.
With help from some neighbors, Jones says, all 23 people got out alive.
Benton Fire Chief Herry Green says the fire spread quickly, eventually causing part of the roof to collapse. Now, the fire department is calling Jones a hero.
Jones says she only did what he gut told her to do; and if she wasn’t awake, a neighbor would have done the same thing for her.
“I just can’t believe how fast it happened,” says Jones. “If it would have been the middle of the night, I have a feeling you would be doing a different story right now.”